Thursday, September 22, 2011

Hellenism


“Perhaps you understand now why I send the cards to Sophie. I am sure she will pass them on to you” (Gaarder 121)

 This part of the book really made me anxious and got me thinking on what the hell is going on with these letters that Sophie is receiving that are to this Hilde Moller Knag. I am so intrigued to find out what all this is about. I have no clue of what this could be. I am only thinking that this might be a parallel world in which Sophie is living where she is the same person as Hilde that is why she is getting Hilde’s mail and Hilde will be able to receive it through Sophie. These are the parts I like the most from the book since the theories stop and something actually creepy and interesting things happen.

“Epicurus also believed that a pleasurable result in the short term must be weighed against the possibility of a greater, more lasting, or more intense pleasure in the long term.” (Gaarder 131)

I agree completely with what Epicurus is saying in this quote. Even though it might be hard to measure ourselves, it is important to be aware that everything in excess is harmful and that limiting yourself to a short-term pleasure, might gain a greater pleasure in the end. For example, an alcoholic could find pleasure in getting drunk and having a blast but if he abstains from drinking, he will probably enjoy a longer and healthier life. Or at least, he will have a better life quality. This might be a hard concept to understand and practice since we are constantly being taught by media (music, movies, TV shows, etc.) to live like if it is the last. When applying this theory, one must be patient and hope that there will be a tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment